Entering A Show
How to Complete a CFA Entry Form
According to CFA Show Rules, all entries for a show must be submitted on an official Show Entry Form. This form can either be requested from the entry clerk when asking for a copy of the show announcement, or you can use the PDF entry form. The PDF version requires download and installation of the FREE Adobe Acrobat Reader, which will allow you to type the required information in the correct fields and then print the completed entry form.
Complete the form as follows:
- Name of Cat: The registered name of the cat as shown on the CFA Certificate of Registration. Maximum 35 characters. Titles are not included.
- CFA Registration # ONLY: the registration number as shown on the CFA Certificate of Registration; include any letters such as "M" or "S"
- Birthdate: Exact birthdate as shown on the CFA Certificate of Registration, in the Month/Day/Year format
- Sex: Male, Female, Neuter, Spay
- Eye Color: Blue, Copper, Odd, Gold, Amber, etc. - required only for white cats of any breed
- Color Class #: The class number that the cat is to be entered in. The listing of color class numbers can be found at the back of the Show Rules booklet. The class numbers are also available at the end of each online breed standard. It is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT that this Color Class number be correct to avoid unnecessary transfers to another color class at a show. If you have any questions on the correct color class number for your cat, please email CFA and be sure to include the breed, color and registration number of your cat in the email.
- Breed: The breed name as shown on the CFA Certificate of Registration
- Color Description: The color description as shown on the CFA Certificate of Registration
- Sire: The name of the sire as shown on the CFA Certificate of Registration. Titles should be included. Not required for Household Pet entries.
- Dam: The name of the dam as shown on the CFA Certificate of Registration. Titles should be included. Not required for Household Pet entries.
- Breeder: The name of the breeder as shown on the CFA Certificate of Registration. Maximum 40 characters. Not required for Household Pet entries.
- Owner/Lessee: The name of the registered owner exactly as shown on the CFA Certificate of Registration OR the name of the lessee of a cat. Maximum 40 characters.
- Phone: A phone number where the owner/lessee can be reached in case an inquiry is needed re clarification of information on the entry form.
- Street Address for Owner/Lessee: Street address of the owner or lessee shown
- City: City
- State/Province/Nation: State; Province and Country if not USA
- Zip/Postal Code: Zip Code; Postal Code if not USA
- Name of Club/Show: Club name of the show you are entering
- Location of Show: City and State/Province where show is to be held
- Date of Show: Show Dates
- Agent Information: When an owner does not accompany his cat or kitten, a designated agent must be in attendance. Complete the required information for your appointed agent if you will not be at the show.
- Send Confirmation To: Circle either OWNER/LESSEE or AGENT, depending upon whom you wish to receive the entry confirmation and directions to the show.
- Circle Number of Region of Residence: The USA, Canada, Bermuda and Puerto Rico are divided into 7 geographical regions (1-7). For a listing of the states/provinces included in each region, please refer to our Regions page. Japan is Region 8. Europe is Region 9, and the rest of the world is in the International Division. To determine your region of residence, please check your city on this atlas locator site, which will return the longitude and latitude.
- Cat to be entered in: You must check only ONE of the following classes:
- Non-Championship Class:
- Kitten: The KITTEN CLASS is for any kitten, male or female, altered or unaltered, not less than 4 months but under 8 calendar months old on the opening day of the show, which, if an adult, would be eligible to compete in a Championship/Premiership Class
- Provisional Breed: The PROVISIONAL BREED CLASS is for any registered cat or registered kitten of a breed not accepted for Championship competition when CFA has approved a provisional standard for that breed.
- Miscellaneous Breed: The MISCELLANEOUS (Non-Competitive) CLASS is for any registered cat or registered kitten of a breed not accepted for Provisional Breed competition.
- Veteran: The VETERAN CLASS is for any male or female, altered or unaltered, not younger than 7 years on the opening day of the show that if the owner chose to, could otherwise be shown in the championship or premiership classes.
- Household Pet: The HOUSEHOLD PET CLASS is for any domestic kitten (altered/unaltered) or altered cat entry not otherwise eligible. Pedigreed cats with a disqualifying trait(s) as listed in the standard for that particular breed are eligible for entry in the Household Pet Class.
- Exhibition Only: The EXHIBITION ONLY CLASS is for any cat or kitten for which an entry form has been received, and for which a listing appears in the show catalog, but which is not scheduled for handling in any ring.
- AOV: The AOV (Any Other Variety) CLASS is for any registered cat or registered kitten, the ancestry of which entitles it to Championship or Premiership competition, but which does not (colorwise; coatwise; sexwise; as in the case of naturally tailless or naturally partially tailless breeds, tailwise; or earwise) conform to the accepted show standard.
- Open: The OPEN CLASS is for CFA registered cats of a color accepted for Championship competition, of either sex, 8 months old or over on the opening day of the show, except cats that have completed requirements for Championship confirmation
- Champion: The CHAMPION CLASS is for cats that have completed Championships in this Association, and for which the required Championship claim form has been mailed to the Central Office.
- Grand Champion: The GRAND CHAMPION CLASS is for cats that have completed Grand Championships in CFA.
- Open: The OPEN CLASS is for CFA registered cats of a color accepted for Premiership competition, of either sex, 8 months old or over on the opening day of the show, except cats that have completed requirements for Premiership confirmation
- Premier: The PREMIER CLASS is for cats that have completed Premierships in this Association, and for which the required Premiership claim form has been mailed to the Central Office.
- Grand Premier: The GRAND PREMIER CLASS is for cats that have completed Grand Premierships in CFA.
- Security Cage: If you will be bring your own security cage to the show, please check and initial this area, so that the club will know not to set up a wire cage for you. Please also refer to the following information for a Double Cage.
- Special Requests:
- Double Cage: All entries in a show receive a single cage (or one half of a double cage) . If you wish to have the full double cage for your entry, check this area. There is usually an additional charge for the extra cage space. It is required by Show Rules that the size of the cages at the show be printed on the show announcement.
Note: At some shows on the west coast, the single cage size is larger than the rest of the country and double cages are not offered. If you are bringing your own security cage to the show, you will want to purchase a grooming space to allow room for the security cage.
- Sales Cage: If you require a single sales cage for kittens for sale, check this area. There is usually an additional charge for the extra cage space. Note that only 2 kittens are allowed in a single sales cage.
- Grooming Space: If you require extra space for grooming purposes at the show, check this area. There is usually an additional charge for the grooming space.
- End of Row: If you would specifically like your cage to be on the end of a row of cages at the show, check this area. There may possibly be an extra charge for this special benching request.
- Benching: If you would like to have your cats cage beside that of your friends, or in the same area, write their name in this area. It is recommended that you limit your benching requests to one or two people.
- Signature of Owner: The owner or lessee must sign the entry form. If the cat is co-owned, the signature of one owner is sufficient.
ENTRIES SENT BY MAIL: According to the Show Rules, the entry fee must accompany the signed entry forms. Entry forms and fees are to be sent to the entry clerk for each individual show.
IF FAXING AN ENTRY: It is wise to always include a cover sheet that tells how many entries the entry clerk can expect to receive. You may also want to call the entry clerk to confirm receipt of your fax. If you get an answering machine, it will be less time consuming for the entry clerk if you suggest that s/he NOT call you back if they have received your entries (being sure to specify how many you sent). All Fax entries must be paid in full within 10 days of receipt or prior to the start of the show, whichever is first.
ONLINE ENTRIES: Many clubs have an online entry form available, usually through the regional web site or their own club site. If you are using an online entry form, it is wise to email the entry clerk after submitting the entries to confirm that they have received them all. It is the exhibitor's repsonsibility to make sure that the entry clerk has received their entry information.
Why is all this information needed about my cat?
The information provided on the entry form determines the color class in which your cat will compete. If the color class number is blank, the entry clerk will use the breed, color and sex information on the entry form to determine the color class number. These details must be correct so that the information in show catalog and the judges book is right, thus making sure that your cat is judged along with other cats in the same color class, i.e. of the same breed and color grouping. It is very important that your cat be entered in the correct color class at a show.
What does an entry look like in a show catalog?
The information on the entry form is entered into a database which is used to generate the show catalog. Each cat entered in the show is listed in the catalog. An entry will look like this in the show catalog:
AA BB CC DD EE FF
Class 270 - Chocolate Point Male
JAY'S JOHN BOY 178. ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
0270-0001698 3/4/97 CH
Jay's Johnson x
Jay's Chocolate Lass
Br/Ow: Maggie Jones (6)
The line with "AA BB CC DD EE FF" indicates the initials of the judge in each ring.
The next line is the BREED, which is followed by the CLASS NUMBER, COLOR and SEX.
The NAME of the cat is shown on the same line as the ENTRY NUMBER and a space to mark awards received in each ring.
The REGISTRATION NUMBER and BIRTHDATE, and the CLASS entered
The BREEDER and OWNER name, followed by the numerical REGION OF RESIDENCE.
What if the information in the catalog is wrong?
Not to worry! While it is extremely important that the NAME of the cat, the REGISTRATION NUMBER, the BIRTHDATE and the NAME OF OWNER be exactly as shown on the Certificate of Registration for the cat, corrections can be made at the show. If an error has been made in the catalog information, you MUST see the Master Clerk at the show and complete a CATALOG CORRECTION form. Note that the REGION OF RESIDENCE must also be correct for scoring purposes.
What about corrections to the Sire, Dam and Breeder name?
The Master Clerk is most likely using a condensed show catalog which contains only an entry's name, registration number, color description, entry number, birthdate, region of residence, and owner's name - the sire, dam and breeder are not included. Corrections to the sire, dam and breeder are not necessary.
How do I mark awards in the show catalog?
The ribbon awards such as first, second and third are recorded above the line simply by denoting 1, 2 or 3. If the cat is awarded no ribbon, a dash is simply put in the space. Best of Color and Second Best of Color awards are recorded below the line, as B or 2B. Merit Awards for Household Pets are recorded above the line as MA. For example:
AA BB CC DD EE FF
Class 270 - Chocolate Point Male
JAY'S JOHN BOY 178. _1_ _2_ _3_ _-_ ___ ___
0270-0001698 3/4/97 CH B 2B
Jay's Chocolate Lass
Br/Ow: Maggie Jones (6)
What is printed in the Judges' Book?
The Judges' Book contains a limited amount of information about each entry listed in the show catalog: Color Class Number, Breed, Color Description, Sex (Males are printed on the left side, females on the right), Entry Number, Age in Years and Months, and the Class Entered. For example, the above entry will appear simply as follows in the judges book:
0270 - 0271 CHOCOLATE POINT SIAMESE
178 2/10 CH